Unit 5 综合测试
1. The rain beat ________her face as she walked through the wind and rain.
A.at B. against C.in D. from
2. It's ________—I'm sureI locked the front door just now but now it's open.
A.strange B. useful C.simple D. crazy
3. I'm sure I will be thewinner because nobody can ________ me at the game.
A.win B. lose C. beat D. catch
4. —Look! It's raining ________.
—That's right. The rain is too ________for us to go shopping.
A.heavily; heavy B. heavily; heavily C.heavy; heavy D. heavy; heavily
5. This afternoon, on theway home he found some money on the ground and ________.
A.picked themup B. picked it up C.picked up them D. picked up it
6. I had a toothache anddidn't want to say anything, so we sat in the living room ________.
A.in silence B. in person C.in trouble D. in time
7. —I'm sorry, Mr. Li. I________ my English homework at home.
—That's OK. But don't forget ________it to school tomorrow.
A.left; to bring B. forgot; to take C. lost;to bring D. left; bringing
8. Sally took a photo ofher friends while they ________ computer games.
A.play B. are playing C.have played D. were playing
9. —Why didn't you come tomy birthday party yesterday?
—Sorry, I was so busy that I ________forgot it.
A.suddenly B. completely C.recently D. quietly
10. My dad was talking withmy uncle ________ I was looking for some information on the Internet.
A. after B. until C. since D. while
A Frenchman went to a small Italiantown. He was staying with his __11__ at the best hotel there. One night,he went out for a walk alone. It was late and the small street was dark and quiet.Suddenly, he felt ____12__behind him. He turned his head and saw an Italianyoung man who__13__walked past him. The man was nearly out of sight whenthe Frenchman suddenly found that his __14__ was gone. He thought that itmust be the Italian who had taken his watch. He decided to follow and__15__backthe watch.
Soon the Frenchman caught up with theItalian. __16__of them understood the other's language. The Frenchman frightenedthe Italian __17__his fist(拳头)and pointed to the Italian's watch. In the end, the Italian __18__ his watchto the Frenchman.
__19__he returned to the hotel,the Frenchman told his wife what had happened. He was greatly__20__when hiswife pointed to the watch on the table. Now he realized that by mistake he had robbed(抢劫) the Italian of the watch.
11. A. daughter B. wife C. son D. husband
12. A. no one B. anyone C. someone D. none
13. A. quickly B. nearly C. hardly D. heavily
14. A. purse B. bag C. watch D. ruler
15. A. throw B. get C.lose D. lend
16. A. Neither B. Both C. Either D. All
17. A. in B. with C. on D. of
18. A. gave up B. put away C. gave away D. put up
19. A. Before B. Since C.As soon as D. Although
20. A. surprised B. glad C.interested D. relaxed
One day, a poor man walked past a restaurant.He had only one piece of bread to eat. There was a large pot of soup on the table.The poor man held his bread over the soup, so the steam from the soup wentinto the bread, and gave it a good smell. Then he ate the bread.
The restaurant owner was very angry.He asked the man for money in exchange for the steam from the soup. The poor manhad no money, so the restaurant owner took him to a judge.
The judge took some money from his pocket.He held the coins next to the restaurant owner's ear, and shook them, so that therestaurant owner could hear the sound of the coins.
“What was that?” asked the restaurant owner.
“That was the payment for you，” answered the judge.
“What do you mean? That was just thesound of coins!” said the restaurantowner.
“The sound of the coins is the paymentfor the steam of the soup，” answered the judge. “Now go back toyour restaurant.”
21. What food did the poorman have?
A.Soup. B. Bread. C.Cakes. D. Nothing.
22. What does the underlinedword “steam” mean in Chinese?
A.味道 B. 蒸汽 C.香味 D. 汤
23. Why did the restaurantowner take the poor man to the judge?
A.Because he wantedthe judge to help him get the money.
B.Because thejudge could pay for the soup.
C.Because thejudge was his friend.
D.Because thejudge was rich.
24. What did the judge dowith the coins?
A.He gave themto the restaurant owner. B. Hemade a sound with them.
C.He gave themto the poor man. D. Hethrew the coins away.
25. What was the paymentfor the steam of the soup?
A.The sound ofmoney. B.A few coins. C. Some money. D.The smell ofbread.
Mrs. Lin：Hi, Mrs. Wang!
Mrs. Wang：Hello, Mrs. Lin!
Mrs. Lin：I called you at 10：00 this morning, but there was no reply.
Mrs. Wang：I was shopping at that time.
Mrs. Wang：Yes, I bought two T?shirts and a pair of sports shoes.27.________
Mrs. Wang：It took me the whole morning. I hateshopping in the crowded supermarket.
Mrs. Lin：29.________ But I like shopping online.
Mrs. Wang：Shopping online?
Mrs. Lin：Yes, it's fast and easy.30.________
Mrs. Wang：I think I'll have a try next time.
A.So do I.
B. Did you buy anything?
C.What did youbuy?
D.It can savea lot of time.
E.How long didit take you?
F.Did it takeyou a long time?
G.But there weretoo many people in the supermarket.
6.A 考查短语辨析。in silence意为“沉默;无声”;inperson意为“亲自”;introuble意为“处于麻烦中”;intime意为“及时”。结合题干中的“我牙痛，什么也不想说”可知，“我们”沉默地坐在客厅里，故选A。
23.A 推理判断题。结合第二段的描述“He asked the man for moneyin exchange for the steam from the soup. The poor man had no money…”可知，店主要那个男人付钱，但他没有钱，所以店主带他去见法官，希望法官能帮他要到钱。故选A。
Ⅴ.One possible version：
This afternoon I was walking along thestreet when I saw a woman buying some or?anges. After she took out her wallet andpaid the seller, the woman left.I found the woman had dropped something onto theground, so I went up and saw a fifty?yuan note.I picked it up andran after the woman at once.Having caught up with her, I handed the note to thewoman.She, with the note in her hand, was very thankful to me, and rewarded me withan orange for my honesty and kindness.I didn't accept it and left with the words,“That is what I shoulddo.”